Monday, 1 March 2021

Homemade garden fork handle...

It's the time of year where my thoughts turn to all things gardening and so I start making plans and lists of jobs to be done.

Trouble is I broke the handle of the only fork I have for use at home, I have a couple down the allotment, probably should get another for home use (how many forks is too many?) I broke the handle whilst trying to dig up some very old rose bushes that someone in our local area had put on a freecycle type website, in the end I got eight very large (rooted) rose bushes, which are now in the garden in various places, which is good, but it did leave me with a broken garden fork.

So off to the workshop to make a new handle, below is the video.

Thanks for visiting.

Monday, 22 February 2021

Allotment update...

 It's been a while since I put an allotment update on here, so here's the first for this year.

The plot isn't as bad as I thought considering we haven't been near it since October last year and for the whole of last year we weren't able to spend a lot of time there due to work and other reasons.

It will take a bit of graft to get it ship shape, but not too much and we've changed the way we do things over the years to make it a little easier.

Anyway here's the state of our allotment plot, we'll be starting work down there soon.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, 16 February 2021

Handmade valentines gift...

I've strung together some of the steps I used to make this gift for my wife, it's made in the same way as the hanging Christmas decorations, just slightly more elaborate.

I used Cherry, Pear and copper to make it and each material has a meaning or symbolism attached to it which varies from culture to culture, as an example Cherry trees in Japanese culture symbolise good fortune, new beginnings and revival and in old Buddhist stories the Cherry represents femininity, Pear wood has similar meanings as Cherry, and the shape of the fruit has long been associated with the female form and Pear trees usually live for a long time and Chinese culture associates this with immortality.

The Copper elements also have similar meanings, the metal represented Venus the goddess and the planet in Roman beliefs and copper has long been used by the Celts for making jewellery, it was in ancient times a highly regarded material, which is why it's often found in burials along with other metals such as Bronze, which is a Copper alloy.

Here's the video -

Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, 3 February 2021

Hanging decoration how to...

For many years I have tried to make some kind of decoration for Christmas and a couple of years ago I made some hanging decorations similar to the one I make in this set of videos, I've broken the steps into 3 parts, and yes it's either very late or very early depending on your view, but it is relevant for this time of year because I'm using the same method for making something for my wife for valentines day.

If you've visited this blog before you'll know I try to make things for various occasions during the year, and valentines is no exception, I'll be putting a video of that make on the you tube channel as well.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Hopefully you'll be able to see all the steps, and although I use my lathe and various other tools this could be made using just hand tools, it'll just take a bit longer.

Thanks for visiting.

Monday, 1 February 2021

How to sharpen forstner bits...

I use forstner bits quite a lot for various projects and after a while like most things used for cutting they get blunt, but you can sharpen them quite easily, so below is a quick video of how I go about sharpening my forstner bits.

This method has worked for me for years and the set of bits I use has plenty of life left in them it's a quick and cheap way of maintaining your forstner bits.

                                                           Hopefully you find this guide useful

Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, 14 January 2021

Repairing our 15 year old tumble dryer...

 This is a job I've been meaning to get round to, we've had the same tumble dryer for 15 odd years and it started to make a horrible grinding noise, it was an easy enough fix once I'd found the parts for it.

Cosmetically the dryer is looking tired, but it still works fine and honestly we don't use it that much as we prefer to dry clothes outside where possible, but for rainy days it's a handy thing to have.

We could have bought a new dryer, but didn't want to spend that much money and repairing was the cheaper option and fingers crossed it'll last a few more years now.

Here's a video of me fixing it - 

Thanks for watching.

Friday, 9 October 2020

Making awls from odds and ends...

 Just a quick post on my latest experiment, that being making awls from bits of wood left over from other projects and old drill bits.

They are simple enough to make, just take an old drill bit, and cut a length off it, then sharpen one end to a fine point, then all you need is a wooden handle, as I have a lathe I've used it to make my handles, but you could just as easily make them by hand.

Here's the ones I've made so far - 

Turned out well I feel

Not much to them really, all three are made from scrap bits and pieces I had in my workshop, I recorded a video on how I made them, which you can watch on youtbe.

Video -

Thanks for reading / watching.